Wednesday 30 November 2011

Kissing Is Calorie Free



I guess I thought that if I reduced my output of blogs I would automatically have more time to do all sorts of other things. What has actually happened is that I spend longer doing the same number of things. 


As an act of pure self indulgence I went out to see a movie last night. Nothing too bad about that except that the screening was preceded by a chocolate tasting. It was an odd kind of event to be honest. The film was French entitled "Les Emotifs Anonymes". In the UK it is playing as "Romantics Anonymous". (There are sub-titles.) In fact this is not really a translation because the term and psychological condition "emotif" does not exist in English. In France there are self help and counselling facilities that recognise shyness, timidity, blushing, fear of intimacy, fear of social situations etc as at least a problem. In France I find my neighbours and friends to be both more formal and emotionally open all at once. We English (although this term is increasingly loose), are trained to cover our meaning and soul in layers of vagueness and politeness, rather like a hazelnut in a bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk. 


The story of the film is set in a chocolate factory and hence some marketeer came up with the idea that a couple of the sales staff from the local "Hotel Chocolat" shop should stand in front of the cinema audience and chocolatize them. The girls done good and we all received some samples to reflect upon. I quickly analysed my tastes in matters of cocoa solids and sugar content and decided that there was just not enough of any of it. I must admit I did wonder how I would have felt if I had been ordered to stand in front of a chocolate hungry mob and give a speech. I think I might have crawled away to attend the local branch of "Emotifs Anonymes". By the way, this is a great film. In movies and plays there is often a pre-snog moment when the story focuses in on lips, eyes and glances. In a couple of moments the comedy is so potent that Angélique (played by the lovely Isabelle Carré), is fighting not to laugh as she approaches a kiss. It is a charming and lovely screen kiss quand même. This film sheds a light on a lot of private heartache and longing. It is subtle French cinema at its beautiful  best. 



Oh dear, world economy red alert. I'm out of work today because of strikes by government employees. European leadership has fallen silent and I get this image of ears pressed to the ground in citadels of power to hear the first crack and split. If I were a leader I'd be withdrawing all camouflage clothing from shops. When the marching and the flag waving starts, a rag-bag mob look less serious. Any lateral thinking government should be stocking up with chocolate bullets.


Emma thinx: They put orange creams in the box to show the flow of my generosity.



1 comment:

  1. Chocolate and movies. Yum. A perfect combo. Add a glass of dry red wine, with some chocolate hints, and it's perfect. I do enjoy reading about what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. Always so happy to get your feedback. Emma x