Friday 3 October 2014

Review of #thriller The Edge Of Sanity by @SherylBrowne #tense #drama

Looking back, I don't say much about writing. Maybe deep down I don't think I am a writer. Maybe I'm a lasagna guru or a laundry operative with delusions of poverty. Maybe I'm a French maid or an audio book producer. Maybe I'm a vacuum cleaner analyst, a taxi driver or school homework consultant. Time is running short. With more than fifty years and a power point presentation of kids in the CV it's about time to wise up and get a foothold in something. I'll start once I've peeled all the carrots and sorted out a book cover. You see, I can focus.

photo courtesy http://treelifecoaching.com/



I do know I'm a reader. In the whole rickety house of publishing, the reader is what matters. They are the walls and the footings. All the rest is huff puff and show biz.  The true talent of the reader is to suspend disbelief and follow the trail. My latest read has been The Edge of Sanity by Sheryl Browne. I had read a couple of her other books before and count myself as a fan. This book was like nothing she has done before. It is a tense psychological thriller with elements of drug abuse, teenage rebellion, violence and crime. All of this is set against a backdrop of personal tragedy and a dysfunctional relationship. Wow! 


Here is my Amazon review:

This is a page turner where you never know where you are going next. From the outset, Daniel Conner drew my sympathy. You kinda know that things are going out of control in a life that has already known tragedy. This is a dark story yet among it all there is a thread of hope and almost humour in places. Few authors would risk a chase involving police on bikes and a canal boat in the middle of a terrifying drama. The writer has obviously studied or experienced teenage psychologies and the haphazard life style of detectives. As I was reading I identified so much with the characters that I kept asking myself what I would do in their place. At times I felt quite anxious and had to assure myself I was just reading. The ending is not a cut off but rather a jagged tear or rip. Life is uncertain - an edge may fray or not. This is a tight tense read that is never quite finished with you.

Book Links



Emma Thinx: A good book sets you free by keeping you pinned down






2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Emma, for this fabulous review. Loving this: "The ending is not a cut off but rather a jagged tear or rip. Life is uncertain - an edge may fray or not." I think you might be a writer, sweetie. A blooming good one. Truly appreciated, Emma. Restores my faith in me, it really does. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you had to change gear to write this one and just how difficult is that when you know what you do already works. I'm having a sortie into children's books - and yes, it does involve carrots. Thanks for the thanks. Emma xx

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by. Always so happy to get your feedback. Emma x