Tuesday 15 November 2011

Homeward Bound



It's week 4 of the Warm Fuzzies Blogfest and it is also the last week of my daily blog before it moves to a new twice-weekly schedule.  

The quest this week is to discover what makes us scribblers do it at all? Hmmm - well, I would have to give two separate answers. I write poetry because I want to magnify that small voice that is the essence of life. Most of the time you cannot hear it above the rumblings of lusts, stomachs, diesel engines and the pick and mix dilemma of daily decision. As I have aged the sound has become ever fainter and more distant. These days it is the blurred hiss of the TV sound system between segments of the jangling multi-coloured commercial breaks.

I write Romance because I like sexual passion, travel, wine and drama amongst most other things as well. The sensation of warm sun on my skin, a glow of Bordeaux wine and a long deep kiss of lips and souls that starts to build my desire, is where I want to be mentally all the time. As it is I aim a bus through heavy traffic and shop in Walmart. I am saved by a gorgeous lover. Romance writing is a turn on and is intended to nudge the love nodes of my readers. For me this  is fantastic because it gives me too an erotic buzz and allows me to use what I learned about words and moods as a poet, but without the ruthless discipline of poetry and short stories. If I combine my two responses it would be in saying that I write because I love words and words of love are the writing of our emotional DNA. 

I have chosen a passage from my novel "Knockout!" when the lovers are spending the night in Paris. They have dined and become engaged that evening. Both Anna and Freddie know that huge forces beyond their rapture are hurtling in. At stake are their lives - or worse - their love.


That night they made love tenderly, without urgency or complication, reaching out to each other like the roots of two seeds blown by chance and interwoven as one. At around midnight they lay touching hands in the moonlight. The window was a little open and admitted sounds from the street. In the distance voices and traffic spoke the muffled language of other lives. Somewhere close by in another apartment a sad saxophone played reflective moody late night jazz. If there had ever been a moment when she would have stopped time it would have been then - in the mellow moments of their after-love and their before-life.
The great River Seine rippled and pushed on to the sea as the sun tip-toed the back stairs of the world climbing towards dawn across Paris. Maybe the morning light would never uncover two lovers hiding within the protection of each other’s arms…

I would like to add my thanks to Juliana for hosting this blogfest. It has been a marvellous opportunity for me to encounter so many other writers. I know this kinda stuff is hard and eats time and so I wish you now a little peace and poetic space.
Tonight as I drove my route, the setting sun was a cold red disc in a sky of cruel blue. The kids were singing along to Rihanna's "We found love in a hopeless place". A particular lad always wants to sit next to me. He pointed at the volume control to indicate he wanted to pump it up. I pumped it up as a V formation of rooks passed across the void of space and we sang, bopping about in our seats. For just a moment I really felt the lonely turn of our planet in the cold indifference of the cosmos and heard it filled with defiance and a kind of love. The lad cannot speak.


Emma thinx: A beautiful second will fill all time.


For Juliana: WFPF 4xposts plus 4xtweets = 24 ?

8 comments:

  1. Emma- I'm so happy you have been apart of the fest. I've loved getting to know you better.

    The scene you posted is lovely. And, I am touched by your last thoughts of driving to Rihanna. Beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet and tender love scene. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I like romance too! but mainly write nonfiction. Found you on the insecure writers group site. Knockout reads like poetry.... sweet and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tender scene. Really made me feel the passion but also sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You live in the perfect place for romance and it shows in your writing, this is beautiful. I can easily picture it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma,

    Beautiful scene. Thanks for sharing. It's true that oftentimes life can be a harsh juxtaposition to the fictional world we spend so much time in, but then a special moment happens, like your sitting on the bus with the young boy singing together as the sun sets, and it's magical too.

    BTW, you've won third choice in the Swagger Swag giveaway (Congrats!) and I need to know which prize you claim. The second place winner hasn't claimed her prize yet, so let me know your 1st and 2nd choices, just in case. e-mail me at kimvansickler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you guys make me kinda emotional. I've gotta fix dinner and talk to my man who's just come in looking grey from a day of corporate thrust. Thanks so much. I'll be in touch asap. Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, so great and so real!! Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. Always so happy to get your feedback. Emma x