Monday 3 June 2013

House Of The Rising Bun

The House Of The Rising Bun
In England I just don't think about bread. In France, for me bread is the new chocolate. Sadly or luckily, a crusty baguette or pain does not carry a nutritional value label. In a town of about two thousand souls, how many bakers can co-exist? Well, within walking distance of my house there are a mere four. In addition there is a mobile bakery parked at the station and a depot de pain - which is a grocer's shop which sells bread. All the bakers loosely cooperate with a rota for holidays and week day closing. Of course, they mostly close for lunch just in case the tourists want something to eat.  

Much fun was poked of the Mcdonalds University degree. In France you can go to the Ecole Banette. No one would jest about the importance of the artisan baker I can assure you. As I groan my way back to full speed back at my UK desk I can still dream of the house of the rising bun in Saint Savinien. Oh yes - it's been the ruin of many a poor boy/girl - and god I know I'm one. 100 grammes of lettuce for lunch it is then.
 Chat - Oh
Chateau.

About on a level with bread is the French love of pets. When they ask me if I have any animals in England I tell them I have a rabbit called Casserole. Etiquette requires them to smile and glance quizzically at any other French person present. However I have some new neighbours who have a cat. I took some photos just so you can say Ah. 

Even in mid France the weather is most un-seasonal. The natives huddle in overcoats and scarves as the North wind blows in June. Brave poppies grow from any crack in any wall. The swifts (les martinets) still swoop and turn.  For some reason all the fields are planted with cereal crops this year. I guess the sunflower seeds went on strike and refused to come out. At least there will be running wind shadows across the oceans of barley at harvest time. 












Emma Thinx:  North winds speed a fledgling swallow. Accept.

5 comments:

  1. Goodness Emma, you took the bread... sorry 'words' right out of my mouth! Or rather, you put it better than I could have. Bread and croissants are better than chocolate IF you are in France. Without butter, jam or anything else they taste simply divine! I'm away to France myself shortly, thanks for the heads up on the weather, by the way. I'm expecting to gain half a stone. What can I say? Other than, when in France do what the French do - and that's enjoy the pleasure of eating and drinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, you've both got it wrong - bread WITH chocolate is better than bread alone hence am partial to a chocolate pain or deux for breakfast. Why is it the French, and the Germans, do bread so much nicer than we get in the UK. Have been searching for years for a true rye loaf here. Will have to keep searching and tasting. One day I will get to France, meanwhile, Emma, your posts keep enticing me there. Keep on doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Painm au chocolat, pain aux amandes or just pain - they all (and many more) do it for me. I expect you know your posting probably provokes plenty of envy, Emma.Having spent a year in France as a student and another when my wife did a teaching exchange, I like to keep topping up my francophilia. One thing, though - unless my eyesight's worse than I thought, despite all this pain and pâtisserie consumption, the French don't seem to have the same levels of obesity as we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are nudging our way, but more likely due to convenience and fast food expansion - McDo is immensely popular amongst the younger generations. Older folk seem to keep trim - they seem better at portion management - a little of what ou fancy does you good!

      Delete
  4. Emma, I love your vignettes and you had me laughing out loud reading about "the house of the rising bun" and subsequently quoting the song lyric. Brilliant! I share your bread addiction when I am in France too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. Always so happy to get your feedback. Emma x