Thursday 8 November 2012

A Romantic Love Poem From My Heart





OK, I went down to the water and jumped in. Well, not quite. I went down to the river and made a bit of a film. I had decided to write a poem after many years abstinence. Then, never content to do something simply, I shot some video, did an audio track, badgered some fabulous young innocents into being actors and musicians and splashed it up on You Tube. The footage is from my beautiful home town at Saint Savinien in France.

Now the reason for all of this is that I am writing a novel in which the heroine re-finds love after a long period of both sexual and emotional uncertainty. She looks back to first love as a way of recapturing a standard by which to measure her current feelings. In order to write this up as well as I can, I needed to get my own mind back to that place. As a young writer, I wrote many poems. I was a short story writer who enjoyed poetry by true poets. All the same, when it comes to love, nothing works like poetry. I believe this is because in times of emotional overload we cannot provide any objective view of our own state. Poetry scores by taking the love victim outside of themselves by talking to them about what is inside them. I think this makes sense. I am always in love at some level. I don't think I could write Romance if this were not so.

Here it is then; my poem from the shoes of my heroine through the eyes of my own life. 


Emma thinx: Love gets better, but seldom stronger.






2 comments:

  1. When it comes to sexual and emotional uncertainty, there's nothing like a few days of personal research, or so I'm told. It's good for the novel and the poetic soul as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and so beautifully read. It made me smile softly in remembrance. All the best in your new writing adventure. I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. Always so happy to get your feedback. Emma x