Friday 23 September 2011

Where next for determinism?



A gorgeous Autumn day. I am looking out at verdant grass, sparkling with slightly amber dew as the low sun hauls itself above the trees. Oh yes- this is England. Now no church bells mark my hours and once again I will wear a watch. The noose of time tightens. At least I know the words for everything - well almost. I've just been phoning around to get some pâté de foie gras. Can you believe that there is none! Whist on the line to the deli I asked a young girl if they stocked moules. She went off to ask the manager and didn't come back.


Other than imminent economic implosion, the News is filled with uplifting English tales. Eight year old boys apparently put on a cage fight in a social club to entertain the crowd. I suppose I should be shocked - but I'm not. At least there were adults to supervise and I imagine that the parents actually knew where their children were that night. When my brood were adolescents I suggested to various toy companies that they produce inflatable street corners with spittoons so that kids could hang out safely in the warm at home. Since then inflatable friendships and hostilities have been developed by social media and most kids are too badly affected with rickets to go out.


On the subject of pugilism I hear that the boxers of Azerbaijan tried to buy gold medals at the 2012 London Olympics. If you wanna read about this kinda stuff in boxing get my novel "Knockout". It's all true. The book is damn near free at 99 cents or 86 pence on Amazon Kindle. There's SEX too, but I know you wouldn't read it just for that soppy stuff.


I'm not sure what to make of the discovery by Italian scientists of particles that travel faster than the speed of light. I've always known that if you are in a hurry, stockings ladder before you touch them. I've also found out that banks put charges on your  account before you perform any transactions. The philosophical implications for fiction writers are massive. Characters will  move ahead of the plot into a kind of uncharted mist without any causal structure. Come to think of it, I might have already written a couple of novels like this.


This afternoon I'm going to the bus depot to sort out my next career move. I've spotted quite a few lady bus drivers. Dear old Geoffrey will be there to ease me into the system. Once again I am to be a horny handed daughter of toil. Maybe I won't drone on about the shortage of foie gras just yet.


Emma thinx: Causality - the next great step for man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Always so happy to get your feedback. Emma x