Saturday 18 October 2014

Sister Act Gets Technical

Guru Gal Struts Her Stuff With Steam Punk Laptop                                
Imagine waking up one morning and finding yourself re-branded as a guru. Could anyone seriously believe that I know enough about anything to advise others? Surely this world is run by folk who are competent. Ah well - maybe not when you think about it!

So, I was honoured and flattered to be invited to address some young women on the subject of e publishing, audio books and getting a life in the modern IT world. Most young folk I know are miles ahead of me with apps and snaps I've never heard of. 

Even so, thanks to the dynamic Jo Tasker, organiser of "Technopop" at the London Olympic site, I turned up on Thursday to be an inspirational dame for a group of young women. The idea was to geek up the gals and motivate the maidens for a full frontal assault on the testosterone towers of male techno dominance. Just being there made me feel important. Paris may be the city of lovers. London is the city of shovers. It's a beehive of bustle.
Old and new London in the same old flow


There's only one thing more daunting than a room filled with teenage girls - and that's a room filled with hungry teenage girls in the slot before lunch. Oooh - I know that rumble! All the same I strutted my stuff and told them the tale. Since my romance titles are hardly suitable for young ladies, I had to create a series of children's books to use as a case study. Guess what they really wanted to know about? Yes, the hunky Romance heroes. After their ordeal at my hands the girls made off for food. I collapsed with exhaustion and relief. During my lecture I had tipped a bottle of water into my computer. Luckily it's an old steam punk model. Of course this was to demonstrate my technical skills. I do like a bit of slapstick. 

A shout out for Danny who fitted my microphone. As he slotted my audio body pack under my top he told me I had the oldest equipment he'd ever seen. I didn't know how to respond until I saw he was staring at my lap top. I was quite worried for a moment.

All the admin for my visit was sorted out by the efficient and helpful Wendy Godley. She deserves my thanks.


Technopop is on until 2nd November and is free entry for children and students. 



Emma thinx: Modernity - updates are ready to download.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Always so happy to get your feedback. Emma x