Wednesday 5 November 2014

Postcard From Saintes

La cathedrale Saint Pierre
On a beautifully warm and still November day I wandered around the town of Saintes in Charente-Maritime France. It is only a few kilometres from my home. It is a place with a dignified charm and timeless sense of calm.
You can't help but look up
The Charente river flows on through. In the summer folks on pleasure cruises wave as they pass. As I strolled along I kinda felt that the river itself was waving as it trailed a languid wistful hand along the banks on the way to the Atlantic.



Creating this much calm must have taken a lot of work
The day was perfect. The same sort of day must have warmed the Romans when they were the masters here. It would never surprise me to see a senator proclaiming a new decree by the Arch of Germanicus. In a novel this would be a place to let my characters fall in love. As always I had my camera and send you my little post card. There are many monuments and buildings in the town. I want only to convey a flavour of the place - it's emotional quarter. As I got in the car to drive there I paused at my fig tree. There in the mellow kiss of the sun were ripened fruit. My heart and senses tacked on to the long queue that led from
My figurative baton
history to this very moment. Other eyes, other lovers, other hands had held such fruit as these for centuries. They are a baton in the relay race of life. Me - I won't let go to waiting runners - I need more laps while there is such fruit to gather and to love.




Emma Thinx: There is no history of true love. Not one has yet died.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Always so happy to get your feedback. Emma x