Tuesday 17 September 2013

Persons From Porlock

The erudite literati out there will of course know the history of poor Coleridge's writing of Kubla Khan. The great poet was in full (opiate?) creative flow when a visitor from Porlock knocked on his door causing the most disastrous poeticus interruptus of all time. Even so, a wonderful poem was conceived and Porlock went on to host a famous literary festival. The only thing it had lacked in the past was the attendance of a full bodied Romantic Passionista such as modest little me.
Candy and Paul awaiting the person from Porlockl
Of course, I was supposed to go with Oscar - but he couldn't get the day off work. And guess who the folks actually wanted to see? It's not that I don't do poetry - I still do (ish) and did ( ooh - you could have taken your pick of my iambic at one time). No one did as it happens! That's why I'm not on BBC Radio Foreplay. 

Buy my books. OK BUY MY BOOKS!!!
Happily I met up with a couple of fantastic poets, Candy Bright and Paul Tobin who starred in the "Freeze Frame" anthology. I had read their stuff and done the sound editing on the audio track. These guys are the real deal. As a young young writer I went to poetry readings and longed to be that kind of writer. Poets push off from the shore, not knowing where they're off to; prepared over and over again to drown in waves and cross currents. Their work is their cry above the storm or the landscape of the calm horizon where only ideas or desires cast shadows. Poetry is the true form and I still love it. I guess they don't look at their Amazon ratings or admire their limousines too much either.

I also met a fellow novelist - Jackie Gingell, author of "Ee Aye Addyeo" (The Farmer Wants a Wife). We had a comradely chat which left me smiling.

With driving rain and wind, the village hall was no Xanadu, so many thanks to the man from Porlock and partners, who fought the elements and treated themselves to some poetry.

And finally just to note that this is my three hundredth blog. I know there are tattooed old sweats out there who have done several thousands. My feeling is that the blogger sands have shifted since I started. At the outset it was absolutely de rigueur for writers to have one. There were gurus writing blogs telling other gurus how to blog up their guru power. A quick google has just confirmed my suspicion that many pets now write blogs. A look at the stats reveals that at least one spaniel has twice my readership. I dare not check out the cats cos they can be far wittier than me. 

Hey ho - blog on. 

Emma Thinx: Big ideas stand tall. Their shadows are the light. 



6 comments:

  1. I fear that I don't stop here often enough. Writing and blogging are jealous dungeon masters and rarely dole out free time.

    I'll just leave this brief message like some modern version of "Kilroy Was Here" to let others know that this is a place well worth visiting.

    Best

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kilroy. Your graffiti tag duly added to the wall. Emma x

      Delete
  2. Can I scribble some graffiti on the wall too? She came, she saw and she had bought the book(s)!!! And I loved them all...Linn xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linn, you are scribbled on the wall too. I actually find that the main benefit of the blog is to kick start my word jam to get me working and thinking. In the old dark days I used to get over block by writing a letter by hand. Some of my most loyal readers are spaniels in any case! Cats are just too arrogant to send fan mail. Emma xx

      Delete
  3. Great collection of books, Emma. Loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did you think it was that cats and dogs can't speak? You think the competition is tough now. Someone was looking after us. Always love having fun at your house.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. Always so happy to get your feedback. Emma x